Valentine's day around the corner and we tried this heavenly chocolate cake from divinechocolate.com. This chocolatecake combines two special ingredients - Orange and chilli...yes you read it right CHILLI. The chilli is added not to make it spicy but to leave a hint in the aftertaste and together with the orange its a winning combination . Try making this at home for Valentines day and we assure you that it will be a scintillating experience for your partner,husband, Boyfriend or girlfriend ... A sure shot way to impress ;)
We made a few changes in the recipe for convenience and availability .....the result was still great...Luscious soft melting cake ....oozing delight in every bite..
Don't be afraid of the chilli..it taste great and not spicy at all...
You will need:
150gm 70% Dark chocolate(always use 70% or more for best results,try not to compromise n this)
1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 n half teaspoon chilli flakes
75gm flour or maida
1 pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1 n half teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
juice of 1 small orange
Peel(zest) of the orange ,thinly sliced-careful not to take the white bitter part
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing: we used the cheats version
1 cup cream
1/2 cup icing sugar
3 tablespoon cocoa powder
150 gm chocolate strands
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C
2. Line greased butterpaper (greased with butter) on a springform or loose base cake tin.
3.Melt chocolate in double bath or Bain marie as is called in French over boiling water..the upper bowl with chocolate shouldnot touch the water. Once melted add the coffee powder and chilli flakes.
Mix it with a wooden or silicon spatula. Remove the bowl ,set it aside for 10mins to cool.
4. In a separate bowl, Cream butter with sugar(add sugar scoop by scoop else the mix may curdle). You can use a handblender or a wooden spoon untill light white and a little fluffy.
5. Gently stir in warm Chocolate chilly mixture , add the orange zest and 4 egg yolks. Sift in Maida/Flour, baking powder, Cocoa powder, Bicarbonate of soda,orange juice,vanilla essence and mix gently until combined.
6. Whisk n the remaining egg whites along with another white of an egg...until stiff. Add the chocolate flour mixture one large spoon at a time and fold in gently.
7.Pour the mixture in the cake tin and bake in oven for 45-50mins depending on the heat of your oven. Check after 35mins though. Place a toothpick in the cake and if it comes clean remove it from the oven.
For the icing and decoration.
Whisk Cream ,Icing sugar and cocoa powder together until medium stiff. Cover the top of the cake evenly and Generously sprinkle Chocolate strands. You can also use strawberry for decoration.
Your Chocolate cake is ready.
Try it at home and let us know...